An intensive 3-day institute for English, math, and ESL faculty
English and Math: In the past, only a highly filtered group of students would enroll in transfer-level courses – the ones who scored the highest on placement tests and those who survived the attrition of remedial course sequences. Under AB 705, transfer-level classes are becoming much more heterogeneous as the vast majority of students enroll directly in this level. This three-day summer institute will focus on pedagogy and classroom practices that harness student capacity and support all students to be successful. It will include designing effective classroom activities, building support for students’ affective needs, embedding foundational skills into the context of transfer-level work, and grading with a capacity mindset.
Click here to preview English application
Click here to preview math application
ESL: The institute will help ESL faculty anticipate and plan for the changes AB 705 will require in their own program, including changes to placement, curriculum, and pedagogy that maximize credit ESL students’ chances of completing transfer-level courses in English within three years.
Click here to preview ESL application
- If your college is applying in more than one discipline (English, math, ESL), please submit a separate application for each.
- We highly encourage each disciplinary team to include a minimum of three faculty from the college or district.
- The registration fee of $350/person covers training, materials, and some meals during the institute.
- After we review applications, you will receive an email from CaliforniaAccelerationProject@gmail.com with an Eventbrite registration link and additional hotel, location, and payment information. Sometimes our emails are blocked by college email servers – if you do not hear from us by Friday, May 3rd, please email CAP Central.
- Once accepted, each team member will need to register individually through Eventbrite.
Northern CA Cohort
June 21-23, 2019
Southern CA Cohort
July 12-14, 2019
Riverside Convention Center
April 19, 2019
Online Application for ENGLISH
Online Application for MATH
Online Application for ESL